Shark Cage Diving in South Africa
Shark Cage diving in South Africa is an exciting way to experience the world's most feared animal, the Great White shark, and other marine animals that give the South African waters character. With most Cage Diving operators in South Africa, divers are submerged safely in cages to await the once in a lifetime experience of getting close to a Great White shark.
Shark Cage Diving is a great activity, as divers (in most cases) do not need any diving or scuba certifications to do the cage dive. According to Lonely Planet's 2011 Best In Travel category, the "No 1 Best Underwater Experience" is diving with Great Whites.
Shark Cage Diving is an important ecotourism activity in South Africa, and offers various benefits:
- Promotes awareness and education
- Creates an estimated annual revenue of 70Million+ Rands per year
- Creates local employment
- Provides monitoring and research opportunies
- Allows for daily monitoring of the species
When booking a cage diving experience, it is important to keep a few things in mind:
- The weather in South Africa can be quite unpredictable, so it may sometimes be best to book a tour that lasts a few days.
- The South African Winter is the best time to go shark cage diving (May to October)
- Two of the main and best places to experience shark cage diving is Gansbaai, and Mosselbay.
Shark Cage Diving Operators in South Africa (Directory)
*Please note, these operators were sourced from the web. South Africa Explorer does not specifically recommend any and also takes no liability for incorrect information.*